Speak With Confidence In Public
1. Know the Facility & Equipment. Take the time to familiarize yourself with the place in which you will speak. Get there early and spend some time ensuring you’re familiar with the equipment you’ll be using. Test Microphones, overheads, Power-point or any other components involved in your presentation before you start your speech.
2. Know the audience. Spend some time with the audience before your presentation if possible. It's always easier to speak to people you know and are friendly with than a group of complete strangers.
3. Practice often. If you're not familiar with your material or are uncomfortable with it, make changes and practice until you become comfortable. You want to avoid running the risk of feeding nervousness and lack of preparation is the worst catalyst for this.
4. Use relaxation techniques. Try doing a few exercises or deep breathing exercises.
5. Visualize giving your speech. Part of your practice should be visualizing a successful speech. Visualize your voice loud, clear, and assured.
6. Realize they want you to succeed. They are on your side and want you to be interesting, stimulating, informative, and entertaining. No one wants or wishes you to fail.
7. Don't apologize. If you mention your nervousness or apologize for any problems you think you have with your speech, you may be calling the audience's attention to something they hadn't noticed. Keep silent.
8. Focus on your Speech -- not on you. Focus your attention away from your own anxieties, and outwardly toward your message and your audience. Your nervousness will dissipate.
9. Convert your nervousness into enthusiasm energy. Convert your nervous energy and re channel it into passion and excitement.
10. Get experience. Experience will foster your confidence. Confidence is essential to effective public speaking. Start with small intimate groups and select material you have a strong knowledge in.
After finishing formal education Mike spent the next 14 years in UK’s armed services, first as a Marine Engineer in the Royal Navy, then, was the first person to transfer from a senior to a junior service, transferring to the Army branch of the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers. Towards the end of his career he ran the Equipment Workshop for the United Nations Peace Keeping Force in Cyprus.
Mike has traveled widely, to over 50 countries so far, and came to The Middle East / Africa around 35 years ago, initially building, setting up and running maintenance facilities for various well known establishments in UAE, (E.O.) KSA, (S.C.E.C.O.) Nigeria and Qatar (Q.G.P.C.).
Mike got into Personal Development and Training over 15 years ago and as a certified Life Coach Mike has had a positive impact on many peoples lives helping them identify and reach their true potential.
• Mike has extensive “Hands On” Training / Public Speaking / Life Coaching skills / experience.
• He has given such diverse courses as: Leadership, Goal Setting, Personal Development, Motivation, Sales, Conflict Resolution / Problem Solving, Marketing, Time Management, Wealth and Debt Management, Communication.
• He has a complete understanding of training requirements and is able to assess training needs / compile & develop training courses as required.
• Mike has spoken to many of the local and international bank personnel here in UAE and Conducted Leadership training for the Directors of Ministry of Education & Youth
Mikes’ best coaching record so far was helping one of his clients attain 2 promotions with a subsequent increase of income of 400% within two months.
Due to a motivational / sales training given to (IWC) International Watch Company, whose watches sell for up to $1,000,000.00 apiece, sales immediately showed a substantial increase.
In December 2005 he started a business with Aed2,000/- cash, by September 2006 he was earning Aed20,000/- per hour that he worked, however he was very lazy and only worked 5 hours a month.
His passion is to help people develop in all areas of their lives. Mike doesn’t teach to live, he lives to teach and have a positive impact on others lives.